Friday, August 16, 2013

Departure Day

          Departure day was big deal as all 80 of us finished packing up our bags, checking out of our dorms, and taking ‘see-ya-later’ pictures – all in our finest clothes. In the ceremony, we all lined up according to our provinces. In the audience sat Mrs. Shim (the Executive Director) and all of our co-teachers and vice principals.  Our province was announced followed by individual names and schools. Some of us were greeted with co-teachers rushing on stage to give us flowers and warm welcome while others merely received a hand wave from the audience. Parting ways, I was taken along with Chelsea (who will be teaching at the same school with me) to the very most northern and second most rural placement in South Korea: Hwacheon, located roughly five miles south of the North Korea border. Having asked for a rural placement with a smaller school, I am looking forward to this quaint town with rolling hills and many outdoorsy activities awaiting me. Not to mention, I get to enjoy this with three other amazing Fulbrighters in the same area!


The Hwacheon Four (two on both ends plus the re-newies who were in Hwacheon last year

My roommate at Jungwon

I get to teach at the same school as this beautiful lady 

The flowers my co-teacher and vice principal gave me!

No comments:

Post a Comment